You’ve Been Asked to Start a Veteran Hiring Program. Now What?
With Memorial Day coming up, military veteran hiring is a very topical subject matter within the HR industry. There are a lot of benefits when hiring veterans, as they have strong leadership and teamwork skills, character, structure and discipline, and loyalty. Companies also really enjoy promoting the fact that they hire veterans. Strategic Director Krista Williams used her background in veteran hiring to write about the next steps and potential tips for companies who have implemented a veteran hiring program, as featured in Recruiting Trends.
Recruiting Trends: If you’ve been asked to start a veteran/military hiring program, there are some important issues to be aware of before you put your program into place. In my work with clients, I help them develop effective strategies to create veteran hiring initiatives that tap into the great source of talent that our ex-military community offers. One thing I’ve seen, though, is a tendency for companies to think hiring vets is as simple as deciding to do so. Not so!
Krista has noted the following points to consider when starting a veteran hiring program in her article:
- Mindset Matters - Your attitude needs to be purely from a talent acquisition perspective or you risk hiring the wrong people for the job.
- Go top down. - Buy-in needs to cascade from top executives down to hiring managers.
- Think before you act. - There are multiple pieces of the puzzle that need to be put in place before you can launch your program.
- Become educated. - Learn how to translate military jobs and transferable skill sets.
- Know what’s legal. - There are specific questions that you cannot ask – such as whether a veteran was honorably discharged – or you risk violating the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
- Be patient. - The more educated you become on the challenges veteran candidates face, as well as the depth of skills and leadership experience they have, the better you can create a program that works long-term.
You can read Krista Williams’ full article here on Recruiting Trends: You’ve Been Asked to Start a Veteran Hiring Program. Now What?